BUTTERFLY WEEK

The foundations of the world are to be found, not in the cognitive experience of conscious thought, but in the aesthetic experience of everyday life. Alfted North Whitehead   [Today’s butterfly was yesterday’s caterpillar]

johnNymphalis-antiopaLilSpokane'13

Photo John Baumann

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to BUTTERFLY WEEK

1. Jesse says:

Ok now this one definitely looks like a moth 🙂

• Di Anne Lewis says:

Definitely. However, before we hear from Sandy and/or John I Googled and learned that:
      “One of the easiest ways to tell the difference between a butterfly and a moth is to look at the antennae. A butterfly’s antennae are club-shaped with a long shaft and a bulb at the end. A moth’s antennae are feathery or saw-edged.” So, I guess this fellow sporting 4th of July gear must indeed be a butterfly ☺

• Sandy says:

To you and DiAnne, well, actually DiAnne because you have a day job but John will be teaching a butterfly class in April. Here are the details: The class: it starts 4/28 at 10 am in the Magnuson Bldg at/near the SFCC campus, part of the ACT 2 program. The class is only $22. But students will want to get parking passes, and those are an extra $3 each day. And if it is getting enough enrollment, they’ll have me run it again in the summer, mid July on Tues and Th mornings at ten. Looks like a go. I am not sure how long each session runs. If you are interested DiAnne I can ask John.

2. Barb Estinson says:

What a great quote and another pretty picture.

3. John Baumann says:

Thaks for putting the two togtether this way, that is fun to see! I like the quotation from that philosopher to go with it,that is what my hobby is all about!

• Di Anne Lewis says:

I’d no sooner replied to Jesse’s comment than I saw yours – – – learned in Google too that some butterflies are just as drab-colored as moths and vice versa!

• Sandy says:

Have you ever photographed all the stages of a butterfly. That would be fun. Thanks for sharing all these great pictures. I have enjoyed Butterfly week so thanks!

4. Di Anne Lewis says:

Given my replies to Jesse’s and John’s comments will moths ever get their “Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame” in craigfactor’s Butterfly Week?? Probably not. But they’ll at least know that some people can’t distinquish them from what they have to think of as their overrated brethren.

• Sandy says:

Here I have all these beautiful butterfly pictures, and your comment is what about moths. Some people are hard to please! Hmmm.

5. ~ me says:

One learns so much on this site!!! Thank all of you!!

6. Jesse says:

Wow a lively discussion butterfly’s bring, yes I think Saturday the last day of butterfly week should be a cocoon!

7. Jesse says: